Announcer: "Health Hacks" with Dr. Troy Madsen on The Scope.
Dr. Madsen: Today's health hack is a simple thing you can do to drop calories from your diet and lose weight. So let's say you're cruising along, you want to lose weight, but you just cannot seem to drop the pounds. Simple trick is look at your diet. If you're having a soda every day for lunch, particularly a large soda, or maybe breakfast, maybe dinner, whenever you might have a soda or several sodas, if you can cut a large soda, one of these gas station soda-sized things from your diet every day, you will lose a pound per week.
This is based on the fact that these large sodas probably have 500 calories. If you're just maintaining that drop right there, 500 calories for a man or a woman, is enough that you should be dropping about a pound of weight per week as long as you're keeping things steady with the rest of your diet. It's a simple thing you can do, just a matter of trying to replace it. Just drink more water, avoid the calories from that soda, and over several weeks, you're going to see the weight start to come off.
Announcer: For more health hacks, check out thescoperadio.com, produced by University of Utah Health.
- ER or Not: I’m Feeling Really Dizzy
- What is Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC)?
- Free Functional Muscle Transfer (FFMT) for Facial Reanimation
- ER or Not: Stepped on a Rusty Nail
- How to Navigate the Adderall Shortage
- Bloody Nose that Won't Stop
- ER or Not: I Swallowed a Chicken Bone!
- Understanding Updated Guidelines for Lung Cancer Screening
- Navigating Adolescent Behavior: Typical vs. Problematic
- The Impact of Academic Medical Centers on Local Communities and Beyond