Interviewer: "Lawn Mower Safety, Protecting Against the Expected and Unexpected." Dr. Troy Madsen is an emergency room physician, and based on what you see, what safety precautions should people take while mowing the lawn?
Dr. Madsen: Some of the more common injuries we see come from rocks. Be sure you're wearing close-toed shoes, pants that cover your lower legs, eye protection. Also, if it's your kids that are out there mowing the lawn, look around for any obvious rocks on the lawn. Make sure they know where the sprinkler heads are.
And then, the crazy stuff we sometimes see are finger injuries. People reach under the lawn mower while it's still running, or, they turn the lawn mower off, try and pull some wet grass out from there, and the blade will flip, even though the mower is off, and cause severe finger injuries.
So make sure you take some precautions. Make sure your kids know what to watch out for to prevent a visit to the ER.
updated: August 9, 2021
originally published: June 6, 2017
- Finding the "Just Right" Non-hormonal Prescription Therapy for Your Menopause Symptoms
- From Prevention to Crisis: The Wide Range of SafeUT Support Services
- Beyond Performance: A Holistic Approach to Men's Sexual Health
- The SafeUT App: Your Digital Gateway to Mental Health Support in Utah
- A Patient's Guide to a Nose Job or Rhinoplasty
- Acute Spinal Cord Injury and Rehabilitation
- Could Your Shoulder Pain Be Arthritis?
- Is It Just a Phase or Something More? Understanding Your Child's Mental Health
- Screening for Depression Using SIGECAPS
- The Basics of High Blood Pressure