Listener Question: My Arch Hurts After Just Three Miles of Walking

You are listening to Health Library:

Aug 08, 2016

This week’s Scope listener question is about acute arch pain when walking long distances. The pain usually goes away by the next day, but the pain stops long walks and makes hikes short. Orthopedic specialist Dr. Emily Harold shares some simple exercises you can do at home to help keep your arches feeling fine for long distances, and advice for how to decide when it is time to see your doctor.

Episode Transcript

Announcer: Need reliable and wellness information? Don't listen to the guy in the cube next to you, get it from a trusted source, straight from the doctor's mouth. Here's this week's listener question. On The Scope.

Interviewer: All right. Today's listeners question: "When I go walking, I feel great except for about after 3 miles, my left arch gets really sore. So bad usually, I have to turn around and head back. Usually gone by the next day, but I'd like to be able to walk more than just three miles. What can I do?"

Dr. Harold: That's a good question. I think, a lot of times, arch pain comes from a muscle that helps to support the arch. One thing you could do is to look in the mirror at home and stand flat on your feet barefoot and see if one foot has more of a collapsed arch than the other. That could be an indication that that muscle might be a little bit weak.

The other thing you can try is to stand on just the foot that hurts and do toe raises just on that foot. Do them repetitively, 10, 15 toe raises and see if that recreates the pain. If it does and the pain is coming from this muscle that helps to hold up your arch, then what's happening is that that muscle is getting a little fatigued as you hike. And then, after a while, it can no longer support the load and it causes pain. That's something that can be fixed with good arch supports when you hike, as well as some therapy to strengthen that muscle.

Other possibilities, some people can get foot pain and the arch that's unrelated to that muscle. It's more sometimes a burning pain they get in the arch with prolonged walking. Sometimes it's also related to either footwear or occasionally is related to socks as well in the shoe that cause some friction and some abrasion and some pain there. So maybe try and change the socks or the shoes around and see if one shoe is better than another.

Announcer: You are listening to the Scope, powered by University of Utah Health Sciences. This is The Scope. Find us online at thescoperadio.com.