This recipe for Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken Skewers makes a complete meal, and can serve as a template for a variety of other options. Each skewer is a good source of protein as well as fruits and veggies. The protein used in this recipe is chicken, but the recipe would also be delicious if lean beef or tofu was used.
And the options for adding veggies is endless—mushrooms! Zucchini! Snow peas! Pairing protein with fruits and veggies gives long-lasting satisfaction and makes a nutritious summer meal.
4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
1 cup low sodium teriyaki sauce
½ cup pineapple juice
2 cloves garlic
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp water
1 large red bell pepper
1 large yellow bell pepper
1 large green bell pepper
1 medium red onion
2 cups of pineapple chunks
Green onions to garnish
- Cut chicken breast into one-inch cubes.
- Combine low sodium teriyaki sauce, pineapple juice, garlic, pepper and salt in a saucepan and whisk to combine. Slowly whisk in water and cornstarch.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat and let cool. Set aside ¼ cup of sauce for later. Use the rest of the sauce to marinate the chicken (30 mins minimum).
- Chop bell peppers and onion into one-inch cubes.
- Skewer chicken, bell pepper, onion and pineapple. Grill for 8-10 minutes. Drizzle set aside teriyaki sauce and garnish with green onion .
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories 257; Sodium 465mg; Total Fat 3g; Carbohydrates 27g; Sugars 20g; Protein 28g