Skip to main content

or dial 988 for crisis help and support

When to Call

I am not in crisis but I feel like I need support. Can I call the Utah Crisis Line/Lifeline?

Yes. Our licensed mental health professionals are here to provide any level of support you need, 24/7. We encourage people to reach out for help before a situation reaches the level of a crisis.

When is the right time to get help?

There are many reasons why someone may need to seek support. Our goal is to help before the situation becomes a crisis. Generally, if you are thinking about contacting someone, it is a good time to do so.

What to Expect

What should I expect during a call to the Crisis Line? Who would I be speaking with?

We staff our Crisis Line with licensed mental health professionals. They will help you identify your concerns and potential options to address those concerns. 

These may include crisis prevention and response, validation, coping skills, and/or resources in the community.

What personal information will I be required to provide?

The Utah Crisis Line is confidential. You can provide as much or as little information as you are comfortable with. We may need some identifying information if you are eligible for certain resources.

I am younger than 18. If I call, will you be have to contact my parent or guardian?

Not necessarily. Our staff would only contact a parent or guardian if you request it or if there is an immediate, life-threatening situation.

What if I am not comfortable with calling in. Are there others ways I can get support?

Yes. Other services, such as SafeUT and Mobile Crisis Outreach Teams (MCOT), offer support through:

  • apps,
  • live chat,
  • in-person visit, or
  • virtual visit options.

Calling For/About Someone Else

I have a family member or friend that I am worried about. Can I call about them?

Yes. Our staff frequently talk with friends and family to provide support. We can help you identify next steps in helping your loved one.

I think my family or friend could benefit from an in-person contact. How can I start that process?

Call the Utah Crisis Line at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) and let staff know that you are concerned about your family or friend. Our mental health professionals will help identify and connect to your options.

My family member or friend is harming themselves. Should I call the Utah Crisis Line or dial 911?

If they are in the process of causing harm, such as taking medications or self-harm, please dial 911. The Utah Crisis Line may provide support after they have received medical attention. 


How do I submit a compliment, concern, or other feedback about my experience?

Please contact the Utah Crisis Line and let staff know that you would like to provide feedback on your experience. 

How can you offer these services free?

To keep these services available at no cost to residents of Utah, there are a variety of funding sources that support 24/7 clinical operations. Funding for the Utah Crisis Line, Utah Warm Line, Salt Lake County Mobile Crisis Outreach Teams (MCOT), SafeUT, and the Safe Care Transition Program comes from the:

  • State of Utah general funds and legislative appropriations,
  • Salt Lake County,
  • Utah Department of Human Services,
  • Optum,
  • University of Utah Health, and
  • Huntsman Mental Health Institute (formerly UNI).