A Business Associate is a third party who accesses, creates, receives, maintains, or transmits PHI in order to perform a service on behalf of University of Utah Health.
A Business Associate Agreement outlines permitted use, disclosure, restrictions, and outlines any safeguards to protect any restricted information that may be shared with the business associate.
Business Associate Agreements
A Business Associate Agreement (BAA) spells out:
- How the Business Associate will use/disclose our PHI
- Appropriate safeguards to protect our information
- That the Business Associate will develop a BAA with all their sub-contractors
- That the Business Associate will have our PHI available on request and available for amendment and/or available for accounting of disclosures
- At termination of the contract, all PHI must be returned or destroyed or the PHI contract protections may be extended
Questions regarding Business Associates or a Business Associate Agreement should be directed to the Privacy Office at 801-587-9241.
Business Partners HIPAA Training
Business Partners and Vendors
This online training is required by the University of Utah Privacy Office for non-employee business partners, vendors, and other third parties. It is not meant to provide legal advice, direction, or any other advice to any individual.
- Read the training module.
- On the last page of the training module, click the link to open the certificate document.
- Print the certificate.
- Fill in the required fields, sign and date the certificate.
This training is in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format. Adobe Reader is required to view the document.