Improving Quality of Life During & After Cancer Treatment
The Huntsman Cancer Institute Supportive Oncology and Survivorship (SOS) team provides support to patients during and after cancer treatment. We work with patients to help enhance quality of life throughout the cancer journey.
We offer an extra layer of support that goes hand-in-hand with your cancer treatments, at any stage you are at in your experience with cancer.
The SOS team brings together cancer experts including medical oncologists, psychologists, social workers, wellness experts, survivorship specialists, and more. You and your loved ones are an important part of our decision-making team.
Any Huntsman Cancer Institute patient can make an appointment to see us. Ask your cancer care team for a referral, or call the SOS patient coordinator at 801-213-4246.
The SOS team of cancer specialists helps ensure each patient receives outstanding care.
- Pain and symptom management: The SOS team can help relieve symptoms that often go along with cancer:
- Pain (nerve, muscle, and bone)
- Anxiety, depression, and distress
- Fatigue, trouble sleeping, or nausea
- Guidance: The SOS team will get to know your values and goals concerning cancer treatment. We can explain different treatment options and help you make the best decisions.
- Emotional support: The SOS team offers treatment and coping strategies to help you and your family deal with stress and symptoms related to your cancer.
- Resources: The SOS team provides resources to support your well-being and quality of life. These including the following:
- Ketamine-Assisted Psychotherapy Clinic: Cancer and other major illnesses can result in feelings of shock, anxiety, and despair. When a diagnosis is terminal or someone is in the late stages of disease, they may struggle with fears about the end of life or other existential distress. This experimental treatment can give a sense of calm, relaxation, and relief from pain, as well as provide a shift in perspective to help process life changes.