Hours & Address
Utah Center for Bleeding & Clotting Disorders
Sugar House Health Center is the home of the Utah Center for Bleeding & Clotting Disorders at University of Utah Health. We use a comprehensive team approach to care for adults with hemophilia and other bleeding and clotting disorders. We also partner with Primary Children’s Hospital, which allows patients to smoothly transition their care from pediatric providers to adult providers.
Types of Blood Disorders We Treat
Our hematologists diagnose and treat patients of all ages for an array of benign (non-cancerous) hematology disorders, including the following:
- Hemophilia — A disorder that results in excess bleeding because blood does not clot normally.
- Anemia — A low number of red blood cells.
- Leukopenia — A low white blood cell count.
- Thrombocytopenia — A low blood platelet count.
- Thalassemia — An inherited type of anemia caused by abnormal production of hemoglobin (an oxygen-carrying protein in the blood).
- von Willebrand disease — The abnormal production or function of the von Willebrand protein needed for clotting.
- Sickle cell disease — An inherited blood disorder that causes red blood cells to change their shape.
- Platelet dysfunction — A bleeding disorder caused by abnormal platelet function.
- Thrombosis — This occurs when a blood clot forms inside a blood vessel.
- Hemochromatosis — This disorder is a result of too much iron in the body.
- Porphyria — This is caused by abnormalities of heme (a molecule that helps your blood carry oxygen) production. Symptoms may include nervous system dysfunction, skin sensitivity, and/or abdominal pain.
Where Are We Located Inside Sugar House Health Center?
Make an Appointment with Us
To make an appointment at the Utah Center for Bleeding & Clotting Disorders, you will need a referral from your physician. However, we also accept self-referrals; please fill out our online appointment request form.
Please check with your insurance to make sure this appointment will be covered. In some cases, special permission has been given to our providers to see patients with out-of-network insurance.
Please call us at 801-213-8371 to schedule an appointment. We look forward to meeting you.
To make your appointment more convenient, we also offer:
- free Wi-Fi,
- an on-site pharmacy,
- free child care during your appointment, and
- a comfortable lobby with electrical outlets in the furniture so you can charge your device.