Apr 26, 2019

Interview Transcript

Announcer: "The Health Minute" produced by University of Utah Health.

Interviewer: Trouble having kids? Dr. Kirtly Parker Jones is a reproductive expert. And where should somebody start if they're having trouble conceiving and they really want kids?

Dr. Jones: Okay. So you've tried a year and you're not successful. For the first diagnostic steps, evaluating the eggs and sperm and the tubes. Your family doc or your nurse practitioner or your regular OB/GYN can get you started. If you've been with them a year and you aren't pregnant or if you're over 35, you may want to see a fertility specialist, called a reproductive endocrinologist. These are people who are especially trained and subspecialty certified in male and female infertility. Sometimes men need to be referred to a urologist who specializes in male infertility. Ideally, you'll get a team of reproductive endocrinologists and neurologists who can work in an IVF center, who can help you with the complete range of options.

Announcer: To find out more about this and other health and wellness topics visit thescoperadio.

Sign Up for Weekly Health Updates

Weekly emails of the latest news from The Scope Radio.

For Patients