Open 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week
Emergency Care for Individuals Experiencing a Mental Health Crisis
The Receiving Center at Huntsman Mental Health Institute (HMHI) helps adults ages 18 and older get help during a mental health crisis 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Visitors are supported by a skilled team of mental health care professionals who help patients receive care and helping to create a connection to community resources.
The interventions are short, highly intensive, and focused on resolving mental health crisis in the least restrictive manner possible. This approach leads to better patient outcomes with lower cost to an emergency room visit due to reduction of unnecessary inpatient care.
The future of crisis care is underway with the Kem and Carolyn Gardner Mental Health Crisis Care Center, and expansion of the Receiving Center care model.
Hours & Address
Emergency Mental Health Services We Offer
Care is individualized to the needs of each guest:
- Crisis evaluation focused on understanding individual needs
- Psychiatric assessment of a person’s mental health condition
- Medication prescribing, if needed, for stabilizing symptoms
- Solution-focused therapy, peer support, and case management
- Recommendations for next steps and connection to ongoing support
- Crisis observation, if needed, for up to 23 hours
Receiving Center Care Team
Our care team consists of:
- physician assistants,
- advanced practice nurses,
- social workers,
- certified crisis workers,
- certified peer specialists,
- psychiatric technicians.
During your visit any combination of these highly skilled individuals may provide your care. If needed, they will also arrange a consultation with a specialist.