Hours & Address
Building a Healthy Lifestyle
Nutrition is one of the building blocks of a healthy lifestyle. At University of Utah Hospital, you can see a qualified dietitian who counsels patients on nutrition and weight management. Create a customized plan for your health by meeting our dietitian today.
Nutrition therapy services include treatment for the following:
- Weight management
- Cardiovascular disease
- High blood pressure
- Gastrointestinal disorders (pancreatitis, irritable bowel syndrome, acid reflux, and the like)
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Celiac disease
- Food allergies and intolerances
- Pediatric nutrition
- Sports nutrition
- Nutrition deficiencies
- Pregnancy, infertility, and polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Sleep apnea
- Wellness and health
- Eating disorders
We offer flexible scheduling options. Our main location in the hospital is E15 in Area E.
Dietitians Near You
What to Expect from a Dietitian Consultation
During your consultation, your registered dietitian will get a complete picture of the food you eat on a regular basis as well as your relationship with food. Your dietitian will also ask you if you have any food allergies or intolerances as well as what medications and supplements you take.
Your dietitian asks you these questions to help assess your needs. They will help you set goals to create healthy habits.
Resources & Programs for Our Patients
The New You Program
The New You program focuses on nutrition, exercise, and wellness. Using the latest research, learn to eat healthier, be more active, and lose weight. Join us to change your lifestyle behaviors, see real results, and become a new you!
The New You(th) Program
The New You(th) program focuses on nutrition, exercise, and wellness for ages 12-18. Using the latest research, teens will learn to choose and eat nutritious foods, be more active, and create healthier habits for the future. Join us to become a stronger, healthier, more empowered you!
Wellness & Integrative Health Nutrition Programs
Nutrition Care Services and Wellness & Integrative Health collaborate across U of U Health to provide our patients, staff, and surrounding community with a diverse combination of nutrition-related services and educational offerings.
Weight Management Program
If you've tried to lose weight unsuccessfully, you know how frustrating it can be. Our Weight Management Program looks at how your overall health affects your weight.
What Is a Registered Dietitian?
A Registered Dietitian (RD) or Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) is a food and nutrition expert who has met academic and professional requirements including:
- Earned a bachelor's degree with course work approved by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)
- Completed an accredited, supervised practice program at a health care facility, community or foodservice corporation.
- Passed a national examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration
- Completes continuing professional educational requirements to maintain registration on an ongoing basis.
What Is RD Approved?
Registered Dietitian Approved (RD Approved) is a healthy food and beverage initiative at the University of Utah. As a collaboration between Wellness & Integrative Health and Nutrition Care Services, the RD Approved mission is to make the healthy choice the easy choice campus-wide.
This means we're working on increasing the availability and affordability of healthy food and drink options, as well as education around healthy eating habits for our faculty, staff, and students.
Locations of RD-Approved Meals
Where Can You Find RD-Approved Meals on Campus?
- U of U Main Hospital Cafeteria – Meals, snacks, and beverages
- South Jordan Health Center (Tumbleweed Café) - Meals, snacks, and beverages
- Farmington Health Center - Snacks and beverages
- NRH (Summit Cafe) - Snacks and beverages