When Should You See an Orthopedic Doctor for Hip Pain?
Hip pain is usually temporary, especially after an injury. However, if the pain lasts for more than six weeks, you may want to consider consulting one of our orthopedic hip specialists at our University Orthopaedic Center.
Schedule an appointment with us if you experience any of the following conditions:
- Hip pain that does not improve on its own after six weeks of rest,
- Hip pain severe enough to limit normal daily activities or your ability to move,
- Hip pain causing you to feel wobbly when you walk or stand and putting you at risk of falling, or
- Hip pain, not getting better on its own, that limits your function or ability to accomplish your athletic goals.
To make an appointment with one of our orthopedic hip specialists, you do not need a referral from your primary care physician or any other specialist. You may, however, want to check with your insurance first. Please call us at 801-587-7109 today to schedule your first visit.
You can schedule an appointment at one of these two locations:
The University Orthopaedic Center offers free valet parking on your arrival.
The South Jordan Health Center in Daybreak offers convenient parking as well as free childcare.
Meeting Your Orthopedic Doctor for the First Time
Appointment Prep & What to Bring
We appreciate your patience during your clinic appointment. We are a referral clinic that oftentimes sees difficult patient problems that are referred to us. While we try to stay on time, your appointment may be delayed. This will depend on the complexity of other patients we see before you on your clinic day.
For your clinic visit, please bring your:
- photo ID;
- insurance card or insurance information;
- list of medications you are currently taking;
- previous studies you have had (X-rays, CT scans, MRIs, and the like); and
- something to occupy your time if your clinic visit is delayed (book, work, iPad).
When you arrive at your chosen location, you can check in with the front desk. We will get a copy of your insurance information and double check contact information, such as your phone number and address. You will also pay your co-pay at this time.
Your Specialist Consultation
During your appointment, our orthopedic doctor will ask you about your physical activity habits, including any hip pain or discomfort you have. We want to understand how your day-to-day habits may be affecting your pain and how you’ve been managing it.
We will then review your medical history by looking at any past tests you have had. We may also order tests such as:
Our goals during your visit are to:
- correctly diagnose your problem or identify other tests needed to help with your diagnosis,
- decrease your pain, and
- help you get back to your desired activities.
Hip Preservation Specialists
Schedule a Follow-Up
At the end of your appointment, we will determine if we need to schedule a follow-up. Our staff will help determine a treatment plan and decide if we need a follow-up appointment with you.